Our skin is constantly being bombarded by damage. This might be caused by sunshine’s UV light, irritants from pollution, or even cosmetic products that are not as kind to our skin as they should be. Some people also have skin damage from scarring medical conditions (e.g., acne), or from other dermatological conditions.
Damage to skin can lead to blotchiness, fine lines and wrinkles, large pores, and thickening that gives it a “rough and dull” appearance—all of which can add up to make the skin look prematurely aged. Damaged skin can’t really be “fixed”—a better way is to gently remove it.
Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) are a group of organic acids that have become popular for skin conditions in which the skin has become thickened due to prior damage. They are sometimes known as “fruit acids”, because several are found in fruits like citrus or apples. Because AHAs are small molecules, they can penetrate into the upper layers of the skin to exert their effects.
AHAs primary effect on the skin is to loosen and remove “sticky” unhealthy cells from the skin’s surface, making them “slough” or fall away (a process known as exfoliation). This leads to regeneration of the outer layers of the skin and an increase in skin collagen level—resulting in new skin that is both younger-looking and more resistant to irritants. The second effect of AHAs is to hydrate the skin’s outer layers, making them look smoother. The third effect is to increase blood circulation in the treated skin, making it healthier.
All of these actions reduce fine lines, scars and wrinkles from the skin’s appearance. Wonderfully, these benefits persist for weeks—even after the application of AHAs is stopped.
Like AHAs, poly-hydroxy acids stimulate skin turnover (exfoliation) and improve the skin’s hydration, giving it a smoother and more youthful appearance. PHAs are larger molecules than most AHAs, and as a result they do not penetrate as deeply and exert their action much more gently.
BCP Hydroxy Resurfacer
An ultra-gentle blend of AHAs and PHA’s developed by BCP Skincare’s cosmetic pharmacists and skincare consultants. Using low levels of a combination of AHAs, blended with a PHA and formulated in a an easy-to-apply gel product, it gently restores skin by sloughing away dead cells, hydrating all of the outer skin layers, and stimulating blood circulation.
How to use BCP Hydroxy Resurfacer
- To begin with, apply our Hydroxy Resurfacer twice a week.
- Apply a small amount of the product to a cotton pad and apply to face being careful to avoid the eye area. AHA-containing products sometimes cause a transient stinging (lasting 30-60 seconds) when first applied to the skin, but this is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes, then wash it off.
- As Hydroxy Resurfacer is designed to work gently, a gradual improvement in skin appearance will take place. The effects usually reach their maximum after about 3-6 months of use.
- If no irritation is experienced with twice-weekly application, our Hydroxy Resurfacer is designed to be gentle enough that application may be increased to daily. On the other hand, if redness or irritation does occur, the application frequency may be reduced, as may the length of time the product is left on.