Pharmaceutical compounding has been described as the traditional activity of a pharmacist, the creation of unique medications and health products for specific individuals
Health care is not just about disease treatment—it should also promote wellness and well-being. Unfortunately, the most appropriate medicine is not always commercially available.
Compounded products are personalised, innovative pharmaceuticals and cosmetics, made to suit an individual.
Compounding may be necessary when:
- There is no suitable commercially available dose
- There is no suitable commercially available dosage form (e.g. liquid forms for children)
- The commercially available product contains ingredients that are unacceptable to the patient
- The commercially available product is not acceptably flavoured
- A specific combination of drugs or nutritional supplements can be delivered in a single dose form (e.g. in one capsule, to assist with compliance)
- A formerly available commercial medication has been discontinued or is in short supply
- There is no commercially available product